Monday, July 17, 2017

Seventh Week in the Lab (7/10/17 – 7/16/17)

     This week I started using the incubator in the lab I worked in so I wouldn’t have to walk back and forth between labs. I still had to use the spectrophotometer in the other lab to analyze data though. Unfortunately the results were still not coming out right. I tried tweaking the procedure and making new buffers, but none of that addressed the problem. Dr. England directed me to another procedure that required less incubation time and would use the nanodrop spectrometer instead. Finally, the results came out looking as expected.
     A new girl had started working in the lab, Priscilla, who came all the way from Brazil to work with us and learn new procedures. She is super sweet and eager to learn and lend a helping hand around the lab. Her English is also very impressive, considering that she came to Columbus in March knowing no English at all. Dr. England set her to work doing dialysis and preparing lung samples for scientists in South America. Later, the casein assay I was working on would also be used to analyze Priscilla’s samples.
     This weekend my friend helped me move some furniture. Because it was National Ice Cream Day on Sunday, we went to Graeter’s on Lane Avenue for a cool treat. I decided to ride my bike there because I had to run some errands at Whole Foods afterwards and got really excited when I beat him there. Turns out, as he was driving from my apartment to the store, he forgot that we were getting ice cream and started heading home! It was a good laugh, and the ice cream was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Week in the Lab (7/31/17 – 8/7/17)

     This week I injected two eye of round roasts with water (the control) and mushroom solution to compare cook loss, pH, shear force, col...