Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Third and Fourth Week in the Lab (6/5/17 – 6/14/17)

     These two weeks were pretty slow in the lab. Dr. England, the faculty member I’m doing research for, took a small vacation, so I was left to my own devices for a few days. He had mentioned that he wanted me to test some of the more unique mushrooms I could find at an Asian grocery store, so I went to a small store near Lucky’s Market and brought back some mushrooms for testing. When I ran them on the gels, they were surprisingly strong, and chewed up the meat proteins pretty well. I prepared different mushroom varieties for analyzation and ran more gels and ended up testing eight different mushroom samples.
     Over the weekend I would explore Columbus. On June 10th, I walked along the Scioto Mile and admired the artwork of artists from all over the nation at the Columbus Arts Festival. My favorites were pictures taken of outer space on a plastic-glass material, and Chinese-style watercolor paintings done of nature and animals. My friend and I lamented the appropriately high prices for these beauties, and dreamed of a day when we would have stable jobs and be able to decorate our home with such eye candy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Week in the Lab (7/31/17 – 8/7/17)

     This week I injected two eye of round roasts with water (the control) and mushroom solution to compare cook loss, pH, shear force, col...